Colonel Gwyn M. Parris-Atwell is the 166th Medical Group Commander, 166th Air Lift Wing, Delaware Air National Guard, New Castle, Delaware. As the commander, she is responsible for the oversight of all medical operations. She is responsible for training, and equipping greater than 70 medics to perform global and state medical operations supporting aerospace medicine services for the 166th Air Lift Wing of 1050 + Guardsman.
Colonel Parris-Atwell first entered the Army Nurse Corp Reserve in July of 1992 as a direct commission and then transferred to the Air Force Reserve in January of 2000. In her career she has held a variety of nursing, educational, and leadership positions.Prior to her current assignment, Colonel Parris-Atwell served with the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing, 455th Medical Group Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan as the Flight Commander of the Contingency Aeromedical Staging Facility (CASF) and the Craig Joint Theatre Hospital Chief Nurse Executive.
1982 AAS, Nursing Rowan College of South Jersey, Vineland, NJ
1994 BSN, Wilmington University, New Castle, DE (Honors)
1998 MSN, Wilmington University, New Castle, DE (Honors)
2019 Doctorate, Wilmington University, New Castle, DE (Honors)
PROFESSIONAL MILITARY EDUCATION
1992 Officer Basic School, United States Army, Fort Sam Houston, TX (In-residence)
1995 Officer Advanced School, United States Army, Trinity University, TX (In-residence)
2002 Nursing Service Management School, US Air Force, Sheppard Air Force Base, TX (In-residence)
2016 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL (Correspondence)
- May 1991- May 1995, Critical Care Nurse, Field Hospital, 348th General Hospital, Fort Dix, NJ
- May 1995 - JAN 2000, Head Nurse, Emergency Department, 348th General Hospital, Fort Dix, NJ
- JAN 2000 - JAN 2002, OIC Education & Training/Consolidated Training Officer, 514th Aeromedical Staging Squadron (ASTS), McGuire AFB, NJ
- JAN 2002 - JAN 2003, Flight Commander Nursing Services, 514th ASTS, McGuire AFB, NJ.
- JAN 2003 - AUG 2005, Chief Nurse 514th Aeromedical Staging Squadron, McGuire AFB, NJ
- AUG 2005, Chief Nurse Executive, 514th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, McGuire AFB, NJ
- July 2018, Commander, 166th Medical Group, 166th Air Lift Wing, Delaware Air National Guard, New Castle, DE
MED RED RX EXERCISE, 348th General Hospital, US ARMY, Fort Indian Gap, PA, Exercise Principle Planner/Observer 1993
MED RED RX EXERCISE, 348th General Hospital, US Army, Fort Indian Gap, PA, Controller/Evaluator, 1995
OPERATION BLUE LIGHT, TRI SERVICE EXERCISE, Navy, Air Force, & Army, Warren Grove Naval Air Station, NJ, Exercise Principal Planner, 1996
OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM, USAF 332nd Expeditionary Medical Group CASF, Flight OIC/Education & Training OIC, 2009
Operation Enduring Freedom, USAF 86th Medical Group ASF, Ramstein, Germany. Flight OIC & OIC Education & Training, 2012
Operation Enduring Freedom, USAF 455th Expeditionary Medical Group, Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan Craig Joint Theatre Hospital, Chief Nurse Contingency Air Staging Facility Flight Commander, 2013