Colonel Jason K. Brugman is the Deputy Commander of the 166th Airlift Wing. In this capacity, Colonel Brugman assists the Wing Commander in the sustainment of flying and cyber operations through administration of personnel and programs affecting 1,190 Airmen and Civilians as well as $661 million dollars of tactical airlift assets and infrastructure.
Colonel Brugman grew up in Kissimmee Florida. He entered the Air Force in July of 1993 as a Cadet Candidate at the United States Air Force Academy Preparatory School. He graduated from the United States Air Force Academy and commissioned in May of 1998. Colonel Brugman has commanded at the flight, squadron, and group level and has experience with Cyber Programs, Joint and Coalition Exercise planning and operations, Systems Acquisition, Software Development, Testing and Sustainment, and International Affairs. His assignments include bases in Colorado, Mississippi, Alabama, Honduras, Florida, Belgium, Qatar, and Delaware. He deployed in support of the International Security Assistance Force and Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. Colonel Brugman was the Allied Command Operations, Communications and Information Company Grade Officer of the year in 2006,
NATOs Sijan Award Field Grade Officer nominee in 2008, is one of twelve Plank holders for the Air Force’s inaugural Cyber 300 Continuing Professional Education course, and was selected to instruct at three ANG-wide inaugural courses designed to shape commanders and program managers in the Cyber, Force Support, and State Partnership functional areas.
1998 Bachelor of Science degree in Behavioral Sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Basic Communications Officer Training, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.|
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Advanced Communications Officer Training, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2006 Master’s degree in Conflict Analysis and Resolution, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Masters in Military Operational Art and Science, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2011 Cyber 300, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
2013 Reserve Components National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort McNair, DC.
2018 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2018 National Defense University Caribbean Defense and Security Seminar, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
- November 1999 – February 2001, Chief, Network Control Center, 42d Communications Squadron, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- February 2001 – October 2002, Commander, Mission Systems Flight, 42d Communications Squadron, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- October 2002 – August 2003, Wing Executive Officer, Soto Cano Air Base, Joint Task Force-Bravo, Honduras
- October 2003 – October 2006, Commander, Communications Flight, 17th Test Squadron, Detachment 3, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.
- October 2006 – October 2009, Chief Integrated C2 Systems Branch, NATO Programming Center, Glons, Belgium
- October 2009 – March 2011, Chief, Cyberwarfare Programs, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Directorate of Strategic Plans, Programs, and Analyses, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
- May 2011 – February 2013, Commander, 166th Communications Flight, New Castle, Del.
- February 2013 – September 2015, Commander, 166th Force Support Squadron, New Castle, Del.
- October 2015 – October 2018, Director, State Partnership Program, New Castle, Del.
- October 2018 – March 2020, Commander, 166th Logistics Readiness Squadron, New Castle, Del.
- March 2020 – Sept 2022, Commander, 166th Mission Support Group, New Castle, Del.
- October 2022 – Present, Deputy Commander 166th Airlift Wing, New Castle, Del.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air and Space Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major January 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel July 14, 2013
Colonel March 25, 2021
(Current as of November 2022)