Chief Master Sergeant Michael S. Murphy currently serves as the Wing Command Chief, 166th Airlift Wing, Delaware Air National Guard, New Castle, Delaware. The wing’s overall mission is to provide tactical airlift and air drop, aeromedical evacuation, civil engineering, and cyber operations in support of domestic operations and the Air Force’s global air mobility missions. Chief Murphy is the principal advisor to the commander and senior leadership on matters influencing the readiness, health, morale, welfare, and professional development of more than 1,100 ANG members and how they are utilized to support strategic wing initiatives. In addition to his responsibilities as Command Chief, he also serves as a C130H Flight Engineer instructor and evaluator.
Chief Murphy entered the Air Force on January 19, 1995. He enlisted as a Crew Chief and upon completion of technical training, was assigned to Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina where he maintained the C-17A Globemaster aircraft. In 2001, he retrained as a C-130E Flight Engineer and served until 2003, when joined the Delaware Air National Guard as a C130-H2 Flight Engineer. In 2011, he completed his Master’s degree in Homeland Security, earning Summa Cum Laude recognition. Chief Murphy has participated in Operations ALLIED FORCE, JOINT FORGE, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE, and INHERENT RESOLVE.
2000 Airman Leadership School, Charleston AFB, S.C.
2006 Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, New Castle Air National Guard Base, Del., by correspondence
2008 Associate Degree in Aviation Operations, Community College of the Air Force
2008 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course, Air Force Safety Center, N.M.
2010 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2011 Bachelor of Science degree, Intelligence Management, Henley Putnam University, Calif.
2012 International Non-Commissioned Officer Course, I.G. Brown Training and Education Center, Knoxville, Tenn.
2013 U.S. Navy Senior Enlisted Academy, Newport, R.I.
2013 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2014 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century (AFSO21), Dover AFB, Del.
2014 Master of Science degree, Homeland Security, Wilmington University, Del.
2014 Flight Safety Non-Commissioned Officer Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
2015 Contemporary Base Issues Course, Springfield ANGB, Ohio
2016 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Phase I, New Castle ANGB, Del., by correspondence
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, Joint forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va., by correspondence
2018 Intelligence for Homeland Security, Naval Post Graduate School, by correspondence
2018 Joint force Headquarters/Joint task Force Staff Training Course (JSTC), NORAD/ USNORTHCOM, NCCA, Del.
2020 Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
1. May 1995 – April 1998, C-17A Aircraft Maintenance. Specialist, 637th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
2. April 1998 – January 2001, C-17A Flying Crew Chief, 473rd Aircraft Generation Squadron, Charleston AFB, S.C.
3. January 2001 – November 2003, Flight Engineer, C-130E, 2nd Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
4. November 2003 – October 2009, Flight Engineer, C-130H, 142nd Airlift Squadron, Delaware Air National Guard, New Castle, Del.
5. October 2009 – October 2016, Flight Engineer Superintendent, 142nd Airlift Squadron, Delaware ANG, New Castle, Del.
6. October 2016 – July 2018, Executive Assistant to the ANG Command Chief, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
7. July 2018 – August 2019, Flight Engineer Superintendent, 142nd Airlift Squadron, Delaware ANG, New Castle, Del.
8. September 2019- September 2021, Operations Group Superintendent, 166th Operations Group, Delaware ANG, New Castle, Del.
9. Octoberr 2021- Present, Wing Command Chief, 166th Airlift Wing, Delaware ANG, New Castle, Del.
Rating: Chief Enlisted Aircrew Flight hours: More than 4,500 Aircraft flown: C-130E/H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Delaware National Guard Medal
Delaware National Guard National Defense Service Ribbon
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States Enlisted Association of the National Guard of Delaware American Legion
Air Force Sergeant’s Association
(Current as of October 2021)