Col. Daniel J. Begin is the Commander, 166th Maintenance Group, Delaware Air National Guard, New Castle, Delaware. He directs all flight-line and maintenance efforts of the 166th Airlift Wing to ensure the readiness of eight C-130 H2.5 series aircraft in support of daily flying sortie generation, base-level exercises, civil support operations, and contingency deployments and wartime taskings. He oversees and manages a 260 person group of two Maintenance Squadrons, a Maintenance Operations Flight, a Quality Assurance Office, and a Commander’s Support Staff, and is responsible for the aerospace maintenance required to ensure balance between wing sortie production and fleet management.
Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Begin was the Deputy Director, Plan and Requirements Directorate at the National Guard Bureau, Joint Base Andrews, during which he was responsible for all modernization programs and requirements within the Air National Guard - to include fighter/attack, transport/tanker, and special operations/special mission major weapons systems; ground support equipment; space, intelligence, and cyber; and Domestic Support to Civil Authorities mission sets. Prior to his assignment in the Plans & Requirements Directorate, Col. Begin was Chief, Policy Division (Acting) and Special Assistant for Legislative Affairs in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, responsible for Congressional issues with Homeland Defense, Western Hemisphere, and Europe/NATO/Russian Policy, and acted as the Defense Department representative to the White House Intergovernmental Affairs
Council for Federal/State and Governor issues. Col. Begin previously served as an Air Force Legislative Fellow assigned to the Capitol Hill office of Montana Senator Jon Tester, where he managed portfolios and legislation relative to Department of Defense issues, Appropriations, Homeland Security, and Veterans Affairs.
Col. Begin received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in May 1996. He previously served as the unit Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, Chief Pilot, Chief Group Executive Officer, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, and evaluator and instructor pilot in the C-130E, C-130H and T-1A. Col Begin has operational flying experience in Europe, North Africa, Central Asia, and the Middle East with multiple combat tours in Operations JOINT FORGE, JOINT GUARDIAN, JOINT ENTERPRISE, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM, to include attachment with the Joint Special Operations Northern Directive. He served as an Air Force One Advance Agent at locations throughout the world from 2005- 2017 and as Military Liaison to the National Archives & Records Administration and The White House during the President George W. Bush Record's Movement of 2008-2009.
Col. Begin transferred his commission to the Air National Guard in 2007 and became a qualified aircraft commander in the C- 130J, and later qualified in the Air Force Special Operations Command EC-130J.
Col. Begin is married to the former Jenny Brown and together they have two daughters, Keelie (14) and Kelsey (12).
1996 Bachelor of Science in Political Science, United States Air Force Academy CO
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB AL
2010 Air Command & Staff College, Air University (Correspondence)
2011 Master’s Certificate in Legislative Studies, Government Affairs Institute at Georgetown University, Washington D.C.
2012 Master’s Degree in Military Arts and Science, Air University (Correspondence)
2015 Air War College, Air University (Correspondence)
- Dec 96 - Dec 97, Student Pilot, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
- Dec 97 - May 98, Student Instructor Pilot, T-1A Pilot Instructor Training, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
- May 98 - May 01, T-1A Standardization & Evaluation/Instructor Pilot, 86th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
- May 01 - Oct 01, Student Pilot, C-130 Flying Training Unit, 53rd Airlift Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Arkansas
- Oct 01 - Jun 04, C-130E Instructor Pilot/Aircraft Commander, 37th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
- Jun 04 - Jun 07, C-130E/H Chief of Standardization & Evaluation/Chief Pilot/Instructor Pilot & Aircraft Commander, 61st Airlift Squadron, Little Rock Air Force Base, Arkansas
- Jun 07 - Jun 10, C-130J Aircraft Commander/Pilot, 135th Airlift Squadron, Warfield Air National Guard Base, Maryland
- Jun 10 - Jan 11, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Secretary of the Air Force Legislative Liaison Office, The Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- Jan 11 - Dec 11, Air Force Legislative Fellow, Office of Senator Jon Tester (D-MT), Capitol Hill, Washington D.C.
- Dec 11 - Dec 13, Special Assistant/Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs, The Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- Dec 13 - Aug 15, Chief, Policy Division (Acting)/Special Assistant, Office of the Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs, The Pentagon, Washington D.C.
- Aug 15 - Apr 16, Chief, Mobility Air Forces Branch, Plans and Requirements Directorate, National Guard Bureau, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
- Apr 16 - Feb 18, Chief, Operational Requirements Division, Plans and Requirements Directorate, National Guard Bureau, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
- Feb 18 - May 21, Deputy Director, Plan and Requirements Directorate, National Guard Bureau, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
- May 21 - Present, Commander, 166th Maintenance Group, Delaware Air National Guard, New Castle, Delaware